dinsdag 14 december 2010

Written Task 3

An entry in Banquo's logbook

"Today my dear friend Macbeth and I were on our way to Forres. All of a sudden we saw three creatures, they were withered-looking and crazily dressed. They looked like women, but the beards kept me from believing they really were. I think they don’t even belong to us, they probably don’t belong to this planet. But they were alive!

They started talking. I was astonished. The first ‘woman’ said: “All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, thane of Glamis!”, the next said: “All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, thane of Cawdor!” and the last one: “All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter!”. Macbeth asked for more information, but then they started talking to me. They told me I will never become king, but my children shall be king.

Macbeth stood there startled and afraid. I thought this was very remarkable. Their provisions were so honourable and glorious. But he was speechless.

My mind couldn’t stop thinking about the future! How could Macbeth become Thane of Cowdor? The Thane of Cowdor is still alive and yet so powerful and rich. Macbeth being the king is completely impossible!

Macbeth is acting so bizarre ever since. The first prophecy has already been accomplished. Does he think that the second and third prophecy will become true as well? What about my descendant, Fleance? Macbeth will see him has a threat. I hope he won’t get too hopeful after those prophecies. Those three strange creatures brought me a lot of confusion and insecurity!"

Rationale
This week’s assignment was to write an entry in Banquo’s logbook in which he expresses his concerns about the prophecy of the three witches. Banquo is a brave and noble general. Banquo is, just like Macbeth, very ambitious. The three witches predict that Macbeth will be the Thane of Cawdor and will be king hereafter. So Banquo is very astonished. He is astonished and afraid of his own success! I tried to use those feelings in my written task.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. You were quite successful but you overlooked one thing viz the fact that Banquo's offspring will be kings(which is the third prophecy!).
    Btw: The 2nd sentence is not good: we saw three creatures: they were withered-looking and crazily dressed! Good work, though!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Vrienden