zaterdag 21 november 2009

Baby's voice 'saved coma mother'

Karen Morrisroe-Clutton, her husband Paul and their son, Ollie
A woman who was in an induced coma after contracting E. coli says the sound of her baby's voice helped to pull her through her ordeal.
Karen Morrisroe-Clutton, aged 32, a librarian from Wrexham, was affected by the bug at the end of July when her son Oliver was 10 weeks old. During her five-week coma her husband Paul played tapes of their baby. She said she had "wanted to die", but after hearing Oliver's voice she decided: "I need to live". At the time, The Llay Fish Bar in the town was named as the likely source of infection in four people. Ms Morrisroe-Clutton is now recovering after her 67-day stay at the Wrexham Maelor hospital. Though she has made a near full recovery, she has been desperately ill, suffering seizures, kidney failure and being put into a medically induced coma. She said: "I did know that I was dying at one point. In fact because I was having all this treatment I knew it wasn't working; at least something wasn't working quite well.
"I gave up. I wanted to die. But I heard Ollie. "I heard his voice because Paul was playing the tapes and I turned around and said I can't do this. I need to live. I heard him and thankfully I pulled through."
'Massive smile'
She was not able to see Oliver for eight weeks while she was in intensive care because of the risk of infection but she said she had pictures and video and she knew he was being well looked after.
Once she was on an ordinary ward, they were reunited. She said: "He did remember me... sort of gave me a look and then this massive smile came... it was just wonderful." She added that her consultant, Stuart Robertson, had been desperate to get her back with her baby to speed up her recovery. She said: "He hoped it would help... it did... I had something to live for." Ms Morrisroe-Clutton said she was now "almost" back to normal, apart from some slight liver damage which will eventually repair itself. She is also suffering from muscle weakness after being so long in a hospital bed. She praised hospital staff, particularly Dr Robertson, who she said never gave up and fought tooth and nail. In a statement on the fish bar, Wrexham Council said an investigation at the site was continuing. Toni Slater, from the council's public protection department, said: "The Llay Fish Bar has been inspected on numerous occasions. The council is still satisfied the fish bar is still complying with the legal standard."

1. Summary
This article is about a mother, who was in a coma. She says that her 10-week old baby helped her through her hard period. Her husband played tapes of their baby and his voice made her decide she didn’t want to die. She probably became ill after eating at the Llay Fish Bar in town. She couldn’t see her son for eight weeks.

2. Why did you chose this text?
I’ve chosen this text, because when I saw the head: Baby’s voice ‘saved coma mother’, I was very curious to the story of the mother. I think it’s a very special story, but not worth the BBC News. I think that all mothers, if they hear the voice of their child, want to live again.

3. Typical examples of vocabulary and style
Vocabulary
This was an article, which was easy to understand. Not a difficult use of language and no long sentences.
Style
The only thing that shows off to me is that the writer of the article uses a lot of statements of the mother in the article. It doesn’t contain a lot of information and facts. It’s a nice story, but as I already said, not worth the BBC News.

4. Type of text
It is a news article from the BBC, so it’s mass communication. It will be read by a lot of people, who read the BBC News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8295061.stm

1 opmerking:

  1. Vocab and style is not about difficult or childish, but about (in)formal, ironic, repetitive etc.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Vrienden